Sunday, June 10, 2007

it's the cobb salad all over again

I have a fairy godmother that likes to mess with me in restaurants. There for a while whenever I would order something they would either 1) be out of that particular thing, 2) they would come back and tell me they were out of that particular thing, 3) they would bring me something I did not order or 4) they would forget my order all together. It got to the point where that was happening with some regularity. That's when we came up with the idea that I had a fairy godmother with a wicked sense of humor.

This was a new one, though. About 20 something years ago, I was at Neiman Marcus in their little tea garden restaurant with my husband and MIL. I ordered the cobb salad. they ordered whatever. They got served. I waited. And waited. And waited. Finally, the waiter came to our table and said "the chef won't let me have your cobb salad". Wtf? Yep. He actually said "the chef won't let me have your cobb salad". I had an image of the chef standing over a perfectly made cobb salad threatening the waiter with a butcher knife or cleaver.

Ok. So that's the back story.

I went to get my eyes checked today; my old prescription isn't working so well anymore. Got my prescription and started looking at the frames. Well, the new frame fad is the little squinchy frames which look really cool and fashionable but which I cannot wear. I need something a little larger. The squinchy ones just look stooopid on my face. I finally found a little display of various frames and found some I really liked.

So, here's the cobb salad.

The salesman came over and told me that I couldn't buy those frames unless I had a particular insurance carrier. Again, wtf? I said "you mean I couldn't come in here and pay cash money for these frames?" Yup. That was exactly what he meant. They would not sell me those frames. Would. Not. Sell. Me. Those. Frames. He kept saying "we have lots of frames" and I told him "yes, but they're all the same".

*sigh* Well, I guess I'll be getting my frames elsewhere thankyouverymuch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sigh. In a few years that will be funny. I have to say; however, that reading the part of your story about the Cobb salad makes me think of that Fawlty Towers episode where the guy wants the Waldorf Salad . . .

goosefairy said...

apples, potatoes and onions in a mayonnaise sauce...

yep. Don't you just love Fawlty Towers? I can't figure out how to email you so I thought I'd try this (in case you come back) :D