Saturday, October 16, 2010

sneak peek

Here she is!

I'm trying to get some better pictures before I list her in the shop. I have also finished another one and need pictures of her as well. I'm pretty happy with my final pattern; it's easy to put together and she feels like the right size. The only thing I'm still fiddling with are the eyes. I haven't come up with what I think is the "right" look yet but it's getting there.

Here's a view of the back so you can see all that hair. Wowsers.

Just to remind you, this is where I started with this one.

The only part I re-used was the tail and that even got adjusted a bit at the top. No comparison, right?

All in all, this is a "yay"!

Thursday, October 7, 2010

new stuff - photos coming soon

Well, I got my new sewing machine and, man, it is a cute one. Better than that, it sews! It sews without skipping stitches!

I completely took apart the denim/linen mermaid and re-did her. I changed out the denim for a printed cotton and changed out the whole body top pattern, slimmed down the tail a bit where it connects to the body and generally changed how I put the whole thing together. It was a lot easier once I figured it out. I was really making it hard on myself the way I was doing things before.

I've gone back to using the yarn I like for the hair (here). I pretty much hate that yarn for anything but mermaid hair but it's perfect for that.

I'll get some pictures of her and my new lovely sewing machine and put those up soon. I'm still re-thinking some elements on her face so she's not quite finished but she's getting close!